Michigan Rape Defense Attorney
Rape is typically the most serious of all sex crimes that may be committed. In Michigan, this offense is covered under criminal sexual conduct under the
state's penal code. The most serious version of this crime may be punishable by 25 years to life in prison. Challenging rape allegations or criminal charges is crucial if you would like any chance at a normal life.
In addition to facing an extensive term in state prison, you may also face lifetime sex offender registration with the possibility of lifetime electronic monitoring if the alleged victim was less than 13 years old. When you add sex offender registration to the other consequences of a rape conviction, you have a situation where you will be in danger of facing limited opportunities and social ostracism for the rest of your life. A Michigan criminal defense attorney can fight to protect your future and freedom in the face of these serious allegations.
First Degree Rape
Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is the most serious version of this criminal offense and involves forced or nonconsensual sexual intercourse (rape) in specific circumstances:
- Using force or coercion and causing injury to the victim as a result;
- While aided by one or more other persons, when the defendant knows the victim is physically helpless or incapacitated and uses force or coercion to commit the offense;
- While armed with a weapon or what reasonably appears to be a weapon;
- During the commission of any other felony offense;
- Using physical force or violence; or
- The victim is less than 13 years of age and the defendant is an adult.
Additional circumstances may apply as well. It is important to review your particular charges with an attorney to determine what may apply to your case. When you need an aggressive Michigan criminal defense lawyer on your side to protect your freedom in the face of rape charges, you have come to the right place. Learn how we could help you by contacting a Michigan criminal defense attorney from our firm!