Michigan Dog Bite Lawyer
What to Do After a Dog Bite
Many of the people that contact our offices simply do not know what to do after a dog bite. We are happy to answer any questions you have and address your particular concerns during a free initial consultation, and we have also included some basic information about actions to take after a dog bite, for your convenience.
Immediately after a dog bite, it is extremely important to identify the animal that attacked you. This is crucial if you are to be able to file a claim or lawsuit and recover financial compensation for your
injuries. It is also essential in avoiding treatment for rabies. If you cannot identify the dog that bit you, you may have to submit to rabies treatment as a precaution. This can be a painful process.
- Get the contact information of the dog owner, as well as any witnesses that saw what happened.
- Take photographs of your wounds and your clothing (even a camera phone is preferable to no pictures at all) as well as pictures of the dog, if possible.
- As soon as possible, seek medical attention. Even a minor bite may leave you at risk of infection and scarring, and you will need to seek medical attention to avoid this.
- The dog owner's insurance company may attempt to contact you to discuss the incident. It is important that you do not discuss the circumstances of the incident with the insurance company representative, as they may be trying to gather information that would limit their liability. Anything you say could be used against you in the future.
- Contact a Michigan personal injury lawyer in your area as soon as possible. An attorney can determine the value of your claim and can take immediate action in recovering the financial compensation you need.
Do you need a dog bite attorney in Michigan?
At Freedman Law Group, we represent clients throughout Michigan. Our lawyer has over 24 years of legal experience and is dedicated to effectively representing our clients' interests. Contact a Michigan dog bite lawyer as soon as possible.